Friday, April 23, 2010

Still life with vase and red box

Woking on a number of larger still life paintings again, trying to encorporate some looseness of touch in the paintings. This one has rather cool colors, due to the particularities of the light in my new studo in the bottelstraat. The light on the subject tends to be a bit bluer than the light on the easle, making the colors of the painting seem a bit too cool for my taste. Need to fix this problem somehow. (Ideas are welcome.)


Still life with vase and red box, 60x32 cm.

Go to www.postcardfromholland.com to see if this painting is still available.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jos, I love your art. Here's a suggestion. Perhaps you need to try adding another light source. Here's an idea I saw not that long ago at another artist's web sight:
http://www.qhart.com/Q_and_A/north_light_filter.htm It's a light filter, you could try another color other than blue since you are having trouble with blue. chaz at goatseathay.blogspot.org

6:30 AM  
Blogger JVR said...

thnx for your advice! I also found this filter. I now kind of solved the problem by putting up some thin white curtains along part of my window. Part of the light coming in is yellow (coming in at medium height) ,part is blue (down near the floor) and as it turns out, the curtains help scatter more of the blue light up into the room. Its really dramatic: after I painted something, and lift up one of the curtains, the painting seems to turn yellow. ...

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home